This blog is an odd mix of ‘me,’ not me,’ and ‘not yet the me I am becoming.’
Growth takes time, but awareness is much slower. Gradually, I have come to the realization that we all hold possibility within ourselves no matter how drastically our lives have been changed by injury. The qualities that gave us strength pre-injury are still part of who we are and drive our potential to learn and build a new future.
Prior to my injury I had a career in book publishing. It was a world I loved–one of authors, editors and stories. I served as the Creative Director, a publisher, and a designer. I surrounded myself with books and was, as I’d always been, an avid reader. Two TBIs robbed me of the books I used to devour and sent me on a journey from experience and confidence to a loss of self. In time, my world grew with new friends, new struggles, and the determination to find a new purpose.
So much was gone, but something else came in its place–a gift of words. With time, purpose turned into hope and eventually a good life. This blog is now part of who I am and hope to be–my way to share with others the comfort of knowing we are all in it together. Each time I find the courage to press ‘publish’ for a post or, when I find a new comment on the blog, I think, ‘Maybe I really am a writer.’
Thank you, readers, for helping me find my voice. It is a very precious thing to have gained.
Laurie Rippon, MA Ed
Brain Injury Advocacy, Outreach, and Support
‘I don’t consider myself a victim, consumer, or even survivor. I am an active learner, thinker and do-er who just happens to have a brain injury’
My other work
- Co-Chair BIGroups, a peer-led organization driven by the needs of the brain injury community in the face of COVID-19
- Peer Counselor, NYU Rusk Brain Injury Day Treatment Program
- Advisory Board Member, NYU Rusk Advanced Rehabilitation Research and Training Program for Postdoctoral Fellows
- Associate, Achilles International Brain Injury Project
- Author, A Brain Injury Life (ABrainInjuryLife.com)
- Former Board member Brain Injury Assoc. of NY State, and Chair, NYC Chapter